Business Wire India
- Indians lead globally in (40%) getting their hair done, (30%) Tanning and (43%) Go for spa treatments before going on a beach vacation
- Indians 2nd highest (24%) in terms of using a Wi-Fi connection at the beach to stay connected to work or checking work email and 3rd highest (39%) in using a WiFi connection at the beach to share current activities on Instagram or Snapchat. Indians are also 2nd most likely to say they love posting photos of themselves in swimwear
Expedia®, a leading full service online travel company, today released the results of the 2016 Flip Flop Report, an analysis of behaviour and preferences among beachgoers in Asia Pacific, North America, Europe and South America. The survey highlights interesting findings regarding Indians’ preference and behaviour towards beach holidays. The survey was conducted online from April 6 to April 21, 2016 by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm using the Kantar-owned GMI (Global Market Insite) and Lightspeed Research amalgamated group of panels. The study was conducted among 11,155 adults aged 18 years of age and older, across 24 countries using the Kantar-owned GMI (Global Market Insite) and Lightspeed Research amalgamated group of panels.
|Key Findings from India:
India leads in:
“The Flip-Flop survey has given us some interesting facts about Indians and their preferences for a beach vacation. According to the survey, India (81%) stands 2nd in taking a beach vacation last year. Thailand (82%) ranks 1st and Italy (79%) 3rd. Similar to their global counterparts, Indians rank cleanliness of beaches (73%) & safety of beaches (68%) as being most important when choosing a beach vacation. Indians place more importance than beachgoers from other countries on a great nightlife (39%), adult only activities (27%), and Social media visibility (31%) when choosing a destination. Indians (24%) rank 2nd after Thailand (25%) in saying they would use a WiFi connection at the beach to stay connected to work / check work email. said Manmeet Ahluwalia, Marketing Head, Expedia in India.
IMPORTANT FACTORS WHILE DECIDING A DESTINATION:
Indians place more importance than beachgoers globally on factors like destinations which offer a great nightlife (39%), destinations which offer adult only activities (27%), social media visibility (31%), beaches that allow beachgoers to go nude (24%), destinations with plenty of singles (26%), travel time to destination (45%), availability of kid friendly resorts & activities (48%) when deciding where to take a beach vacation.
TYPE OF ACCOMODATION:
- Indians identify a family-friend resort (32%) or an eco-friendly resort (16%) as the type of accommodation they would be most likely to stay at if they took a beach vacation in the next 12 months.
- Indians are also almost twice as likely as beachgoers globally (13% vs. 7% respectively) to say they would choose a luxury 5-star resort if they took a beach vacation in the next year.
TO-DO LIST BEFORE LEAVING FOR A BEACH VACATION:
- Get hair done- 40% Indians (the highest of any country) say they get their hair done before going on a beach vacation. Italians were 2nd highest at 28%, followed by the Netherlands at 27%. Beachgoers from Japan (8%) and Singapore and Denmark (10%) are least likely to get their hair done before going on a beach vacation.
- Tanning- Indians are the most likely to go tanning before going on a beach vacation (30%), followed by beachgoers from Japan (28%), Hong Kong (25%) and Italy (25%). Beachgoers Thailand (5%), New Zealand (7%) and Australia (8%) are least likely to do so.
- Go for spa treatments- Indians are most likely to get a spa treatment (e.g., manicure, pedicure) to get “beach ready” (43%) followed by beachgoers from Mexico (23%) & Brazil (22%). Whereas Beachgoers from Japan (2%), Sweden & Norway (4%) are least likely to get a spa treatment pre-vacation.
CAN’T BEAR THE UNBEARABLE BEHAVIORS OF FELLOW BEACHGOERS:
- Globally, “The Slob” (The beachgoer who doesn't clean up after himself and leaves garbage on the beach), “The Boozer” (The beachgoer who drinks heavily) and “The Inattentive Parent” (The beachgoer who lets their children run wild) are voted the most annoying fellow beachgoers.
- Indians are more likely to be bothered by the “The Ogler” – the beachgoer who openly stares at others (32%) along with beachgoers from Germany (35%) and France (30%).
- Indians are also more likely to be frustrated by “The Flirter” – the beachgoer who is looking for love and openly flirts with everyone (26%), along with beachgoers from South Korea (24%) & Singapore (20%).
- Indians are also more likely to be frustrated by “The Paparazzi” – The beachgoer who photographs strangers (32%), along with beachgoers from Singapore & Malaysia (32%).
PARTICIPATE IN THE BEACH ACTIVITIES:
- Globally, the 5 most frequent beach activities are:
- Walking – highest among Mexicans (76%), Indians (74%), Thai (73%) and Italians (73%)
- Swimming – highest among Austrians (83%), Germans (74%) and Mexicans (72%)
- Sunbathing – highest among Brazilians (70%), Italians (64%) and Norwegians and Spaniards (62%)
- Watching a sunrise / sunset – highest among Mexicans (75%), Indians (73%) and Thai (56%)
- Reading – highest among Italians (63%), Austrians (61%) and Germans (54%)
MOST WORRIED ABOUT DURING A BEACH VACATION!
- Globally, beachgoers are most worried about having your wallet / passport / possessions stolen while on a beachgoers, with concerns highest among beachgoers from Sweden (47%), Hong Kong (41%), Germany and the UK (39%) and lowest among those from Italy (27%), the United States (26%) and India (24%).
- Afraid to swim at the beach because of sharks- 19% of beachgoers globally are afraid to swim at the beach because of sharks – this is highest among those from Hong Kong (53%), Singapore (38%), India (35%) and Malaysia (35%), and lowest among beachgoers from Sweden (8%), Italy (9%) and Austria (10%).
BEACH ATTIRE OF CHOICE
- Globally, a swimsuit with cover up is the beach attire of choice among women (38%) – highest among those in Japan (77%), Malaysia (68%) and India (67%).
- Globally, men vote swim trunks no top, as the beach attire of choice – highest among those in Denmark (79%), Norway (75%) and Spain (74%).
- 63% of beachgoers globally consider a Speedo-style swimsuit for men acceptable beach attire – highest among those in Brazil (92%), Netherlands (90%) and Italy (77%) and lowest in Hong Kong (44%), South Korea (47%) and the US (48%)
- Considerably fewer (32%) consider a thong-style swimsuit for men acceptable – highest among those in Thailand, Malaysia (55%) and India (52%) and lowest in South Korea (14%), Brazil (14%) and Italy (17%).
- Globally, 21% say they are very uncomfortable with topless or nude beachgoers– highest among beachgoers in South Korea (41%), India (38%) and Malaysia (34%) and lowest in Germany (6%), Spain (6%) and Austria (7%).
WHAT WOULD YOU USE THE WI-FI CONNECTION ON THE BEACH FOR:
- Share what you are currently doing on Instagram or Snapchat- Thailand leads at 56%, followed by Mexico (41%) and India (39%). Whereas, only 6% from Japan, Germany, France say the same
- Read books or magazines on a mobile device– Italy leads at 26%, followed by India (25%) and Malaysia (24%). Whereas, Japan (6%), Netherlands and France (11%) are at the bottom
- Stay connected to work / check work email- At 25% Thailand leads, followed by India (24%) and Malaysia (20%). Whereas those from France, Denmark (4%) and Japan (5%) are least likely to say they would use a WiFi connection at the beach to check in with work.
- Play video games on a mobile device – At 28% Singapore leads, followed by India (25%), Malaysia (23%). Lowest among those from Japan (4%), Denmark (6%) and Germany and Netherlands (7%).
POSTING PHOTOS OF YOU IN SWIMWEAR ON SOCIAL NETWORKS LIKE INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK
- Love posting photos of me in my swimwear- At 10% USA leads, followed by India (7%) and Singapore (4%).
About the Survey:
This study was conducted on behalf of Expedia by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm. This survey was conducted online from April 6 to April 21, 2016 across North America, Europe, South America and Asia Pacific using the Kantar-owned GMI (Global Market Insite) and Lightspeed Research amalgamated group of panels. The study was conducted among 11,155 adults aged 18 years of age and older across 24 countries. Sampling quotas and weighting were used to ensure the sample is representative of each country’s population in terms of age and gender. Assuming a probability sample, the margin of error would be +/-0.93 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.
Expedia is a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 33 countries. Expedia is a one-stop solution for all travel needs, with a comprehensive and distinctive suite of travel solutions covering over in over 200 countries with 15000+ holiday activities and 400+ airlines, 281,000 hotels worldwide. Expedia helps consumers not only book flights, hotels, buses and tourist attractions globally, but also provides services like visa and car rentals, supported by a 24×7 call centre in India.
For more information, visit- https://www.expedia.co.in/
© 2016 Expedia. All rights reserved. Expedia, Expedia.co.in, and the Airplane logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.